Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Log books

I don’t know if your team leaders have introduced you to the concept of logbooks or not, but they will be a very important part of your life from here on out! I was first introduced to the concept of keeping track of my workouts when I began strength training. As I realized how beneficial this was, I started keeping track of my diet as well (for short periods of time). As I started olympic lifting and competing, I began using a literal book to document my training. I have 2 full books now and am just starting my third. I really value these books because they represent a lot of hard work. They also are extremely useful in tracking what my progress has been, what has worked and what hasn’t. My coach will frequently have me refer to a previous week or month to show me how far I’ve come or to adjust my training in a certain area.

I would like each of you to begin, if you haven’t already, a log book. Write out what exercises you did that day and what you ate. Think about this book as being secret - like a diary. Or if you are more scientific in nature, think of this as very critical scientific data. That way you will only put down the most accurate of information. You must not lie to yourself here. If you didn’t do the last rotation – write it down. If you did an extra rotation – write it down. If you ate 3 Swedish fish in the afternoon – write it down. No one will see this book – but it will help you immensely to be able to know just why you are losing so many inches or why you haven’t seen the progress you wanted. When you get discouraged, you can look in the book and be so proud at the 4 straight days of eating 6 meals a day or the 6 straight weeks of following a new program.

In addition, this book will help me or you (3 years from now) to adjust your program if we need to. If you get discouraged or aren’t reaching the goals you had set for yourself – we can really get down to business if I can ask you questions about your logbook and you can give me exact information. If you lie to yourself and put inaccuracies in your book – neither you nor I, can help you. So be very honest. It will be more fun than you think!

1 comment:

bridget said...

Thanks for making the DVD (or home video). It's helped tons as I have traveled to Southern Utah and back in the last week. At first it felt awkward doing these intense movements with a video instead of our morning pals. BUT, it worked out great! I felt as though I was getting the same workout as I would in person. Thanks!

Also, there is a free website fitday.com--it has a place for logging food, journaling activities, etc. That's what I've been using the last few weeks. Since I have 3 kids: 5 and under, a website where I can "fill in the blanks" has been really helpful for me when I'm logging.

Thanks for everything! This has been an awesome opportunity. I can't wait until next week when I can work out "in person" again.
Bridget